Wednesday 2 May 2012

Sorry for your loss...not!




Here's a question for you or perhaps it's a gripe really.
I find the phrase 'sorry for your loss' extremely annoying. When did 'I'm sorry to hear that....' disappear and why replace it with such a stupid phrase?
Perhaps 'Sorry for your loss' is a symptom of alienation as it further distances us from each other. To me it says 'I'm saying sorry but I don't really mean it because it's your loss not mine.' whereas 'I'm so sorry...' is a statement of connection, of empathy, of compassion and is, by the way, far more articulate.
Do the American creators of this puerile phrase think that they will be accused of murder if they say 'I'm sorry.'? Are people really that stupid? Hey everyone! Let me just say " I'm SORRY!' Alright?
 David and I were watching 'Game of Thrones'. It's a story about a parallel universe or an earth like world and the characters use phrases such as the 'loss' phrase. I wanted to switch it off.  Imagine if suddenly, during The Lord of The Rings, Frodo said 'Sorry for your loss'. There would but definitely be a credibility crisis.
So let's start a movement to reintroduce 'I'm sorry.' OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment