Thursday 21 June 2012

Suddenly Reincarnation!


When I was in my twenties I suddenly became aware of the theory of reincarnation. I felt quite rattled by the notion that we could have lived other, forgotten lives. How amazing is that thought. How incredible are humans to have even imagined such things.




So being a very curious person in more ways than one, I decided to go to Melbourne to have a ‘past life reading’. I was scared witless at the idea of someone actually looking back into my previous lifetimes. After all who knew what they might find and, well, it was all a bit spooky really.
 I was also embarrassed about actually having a ‘reading’ as ‘readings’ were not something that regular people participated in, especially catholic people like me. So I took the very early morning train to Melbourne hoping I wouldn’t be seen by anyone I knew.
I had asked a sceptical Melbourne friend, who was studying psychology, to come along with me and if necessary to pick up the pieces if everything went pear shaped.  “ Look, it’s all bullshit anyway." she kept saying to me. “Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit and crap. Just keep the word bullshit in your mind and repeat it over and over. Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit and you’ll be fine....”. That was quite grounding until I found myself in a monastical building, in a room with a very priestly man and a group of very official looking assistants. It felt as though I was in the midst of a strange offshoot cult of the catholic Church, with fallen priests and satanic rituals. I’ve since discovered that this was the cult that Bob Hawke’s wife, Blanche, belonged to at the time.
Anyway, I can’t remember the reading in its entirety but the story was along the lines of ... my father in this life was my brother in the last life and my brother was my father and I had died in the country from which I adopted my children in this lifetime... None of it was particularly interesting or helpful or insightful or spooky for that matter and I came out of the room muttering ‘bullshit, bullshit, bullshit’ under my breath. Still, I was left with the impression that such an encounter could possibly have a powerful effect on some and my experience did have a profound effect on one other person.
Many moons have passed since that furtive early morning train ride to Melbourne and over the years I have lost touch with Shirley of the sensible bullshit advice. Of course, I am respectful of the fact that reincarnation is important to millions of people around the world and that there could very well be some truth in it but in the end it made little difference to me. I think I simply noted the experience and moved on.
However, last time I spoke to logical, intelligent, analytical psychologist Shirley of the sensible ‘bullshit’ advice, she told me that she was a practioner of 'past life regression therapy'. Can you believe that? Past life regression therapy!
She regresses people through hypnosis to their past lives, in order to help them overcome the problems they are experiencing in their present lives!! So who was that reading really meant for I wonder? Not me, that’s for sure!
Ain’t life grand? Now everyone repeat after me ' It's all bullshit, bullshit, bullshit....'

And here's what the Cheshire Cat had to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment